Friday, December 16, 2005

One thing you can't do in public school

One thing you can't do in public school (or should I call this Homeschool Sports? LOL):
DD5 has a habit of bouncing around when it comes time to read words. I give her the stack of word cards to put in to the pocket chart. Then I have her read the word cards. She usually walks to the pocket chart, then backward, then forward, then backward while reading her cards. But today, she ran around the kitchen table while reading her words. I'm not sure why she does this. And there have been attempts to stop this. But truth is, she reads the words just as well running in circles as she does standing still. Today she insisted she could read the Phonics Story while running, so I gave it to her and let her go. So she read the Phonics Story while running around the kitchen table (brilliantly, btw). My heart goes out to all the Moms out there homeschooling ADHD boys, LOL. Hats off to you!!

We finished our St. Lucia study today. DD5 dressed up in a white dress with her Lucia crown that she made. She took breakfast to Daddy in bed, like the girls do in Sweden. I had her draw a picture and tell me what we did this morning for our narration. I have to add here: art projects are really not a joyful homeschool thing for me and give me a lot of frustration. DD5, who can draw beautifully on her own, tends to do a crappy job with any suggested art projects. I tried to make it really fun for her & encouraged her to make more of her simple Lucia drawing. Usually her people are very detailed, but this Lucia was a stick figure with a triangle, no hair, and one candle on her head. If a person doesn't have hair, then I know DD5 isn't really putting an effort in (she loves to draw hair & goes into great detail with giving people curly or straight, etc.) So I gave her sparkly glitter glue pens to draw with. Lucia did get more detailed after that, but DD5 gave her a great big blob of red gel for her face. Another example of why art projects are a source of frustration for me: DD5 tends to destroy the things she makes. Lapbooking may NOT be an ideal project for us and maybe we should stick to textbooks. Sigh:( DD5 enjoys the end results of our lapbook projects - she is still playing with the one she made when she was 3 - but getting a nice completed project, and keeping it intact for the final presentation, is a real challenge for me. Reason #312 for going with a boxed curriculum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home