Monday, November 21, 2005

Pace of lessons

So far, I've been happiest with the pace of BJUP. My biggest problem following my own method was Pace. I either went too fast or too slow. I wasn't sure when DD5 had mastered something well enough to move on. It doesn't help that she takes a few things and plays stupid (Math!) With BJUP, I move on anyway & usually find later that she really knew the material just fine. And BJUP has enough review that if an idea didn't quite cement the first time, it might in the next unit, where there is plenty of review activities in the teacher manual and in the workbook. I have heard that 3rd edition moves faster than 2nd edition. DD5 seems to be keeping up really well with the pace of 3rd edition. It really helped, though, that she knew her alphabet and letter sounds before beginning the program, and that she knew how to blend letters together (very slowly). She is starting to sound letters out quicker now. I've been working with her trying to get her to slide the sounds together instead of the short gutteral sounds she makes. She says "c. a. t." and I am trying to get her to say "cccaaaattt". Sometimes I think Phonics Pathways would've been a better program for this, but again...I didn't know the pace to follow it. BJU's phonics lessons has an alternative lesson plan for those that want to move much slower and still want to be ready for 1st grade at the end (without doing school all summer long...) The alternative lesson plans end with unit 5, instead of unit 6.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home