Tuesday, April 25, 2006

De-Programming

I'm going through De-Programming right now:) I've finally learned that there is Absolutely NO Perfect Program out there that is going to *Change Our Lives*. I've come to the decision that we aren't going to use a phonics program right now. Reading Reflex looked great as a program; however, I don't think it fills what we need right now.

Right now, I think DD5 is fully ready to gain the tools for advanced phonics WITHOUT actually reading. All programs incorporate a system of
1. learn a new skill (ex: ay says /A/)
2. practice new skill within words (ex: day, may, say)
3. read a story or practice reading a series of sentences.
4. some may incorporate writing the words, too.

We're going to plug away at #1 (learn a new skill), but I am going to limit our practice of the new skill. I think I am going to put reading on hold. We'll continue to work on our 250 word cards, since that is going very well. I'll teach the new skills that apply to our 250 word cards, so that she can understand the mechanics behind what we are reading. But I'm really not so sure that we are going to read any books or do a whole lot of practice right now. I'm OK with where we are at and I have FAITH that -when the time is right - I'll have an avid little reader. In the meantime, we're 4 weeks away from finishing our K math, we're having a blast with our science, and DD5 is finally getting in to handwriting (something I put on the back burner until recently). I'm letting go and just trying to have more fun with schooling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home