Monday, April 03, 2006

Auditory Learners & Learning to Read

I found this article about auditory learners, and more specifically how they handle reading (scroll to the bottom):

http://www.cuyamaca.net/eops/DSPS/resourcesaud.asp

I have noticed my DD5 seems to be highly auditory, but does well with hands-on methods, too. I have trouble getting her to "LOOK" at a word. She turns her head to the side as though she is listening, LOL. My phrase "LOOK at this" is repeated often in our lessons. I have trouble keeping her visual attention.

Lately, I have realized that my DD5 is probably going to get at this reading thing pretty slow. Besides seeming very auditory, she also just plain ol' likes to take her time. She is in no hurry to take the training wheels off of her bike (when we lived in the city, all the neighbor kids had theirs off around age 3, and the late bloomers were about 5, LOL - she's 5.5 and absolutely NO interest). I'll wait until she wants to take off the training wheels, but I'm wondering if that will happen at age 7? 10? 20? I was struck by the descriptions of an auditory learner in the above article, regarding the need to talk. DD5 is so outgoing - I hate to stifle it any, but sometimes I just have to step in and curb it a bit (like, when her desire to talk is rude to others). I wonder what she'd be like in public school. I'm sure she'd have lots of friends - she has lots of friends now! - but I wonder how she would do academically in a stifled environment like that. On the other hand, I sometimes wonder if she'd do better reading if I brought a 5yo study group together (not sure how I would even do such a thing). She draws so much out of conversation.

I'm not 100% sure that she is auditory, but I've had this inkling since she was a preschooler. I'm not sure how to cater to her needs for phonics. We seem to have math under control: lots of verbal repetition, and hands-on experimenting. I guess its just the same thing for phonics - and LOTS of patience!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home